Mother’s Day is fast approaching, and with that, I have had several people ask me what my plans are and I’ll be honest, I don’t have any but it did get me thinking about the little things that I would like to happen for Mother’s Day. Not the big celebratory meals or flowers or gifts but rather the little things that I would like to be able to do but can’t due an 18 month old hurricane of terror and giggles.
1. Have a lie-in. I want to sleep past 7am, without being hit in the face with my phone, as Frey wants to watch Thomas the Tank Engine or Bing. Or have him start climbing all over me and grabbing my face and babbling at me. Don’t get me wrong, normally I love his babbling but not when I’ve also been up in the middle of night with him as well.
2. Not having too share my food. Frey is at the age where he thinks any food I’m eating is actually his, even food I know he doesn’t like ( he’s gotten into the habit of swiping peas of my plate and then spiting them out less than a minute later). Which means a lot of hiding in the kitchen or making sure he’s in his high chair with no means of escape and all food except his own is out of reach.
3. Going to toilet on my own. My son has recently found out that if I don’t close the door all the way, he can push it open and walk in and it’s now one of his favourite things to do. He however seems to only do this when I need to pee, never when I’m washing my face or sorting out my hair. It’s like he’s got a built radar or something.
4. Tidying up in peace. I’ve had some serious nesting instincts this pregnancy and have pretty much constantly trying to to tidy up the house. And my son has enjoyed thwarting my efforts. Especially with the laundry, he likes to make nests for himself out of my nice neat folded piles of clean laundry that I’d just spent half an hour doing.
5. Going shopping just for my self. I hold my hands up, this one is on me. But it’s becoming a compulsion, I went the other day to buy toothpaste and dishwasher tablets and still somehow managed to leave with a new bath toy for Frey. I would love to go shopping and force myself just to buy something for myself and no one else.